Thursday, October 23, 2008

Official off-season coming up

Ever since the brutal experience known to me only as Muskoka, I've been taking it pretty easy. I've generally been swimming and running 2 and 3 times a week, respectively. I've mostly been doing it without a watch or HRM... just trying to get out there and enjoy it. I've read similar things from other people many times, and it is definitely true: just being able to relax and really enjoy the exercise is quite nice. Not having to worry about HR, lap times, zones, or any other junk like that. Of course, there is the minor issue of not having been on the Kuota since the 70.3 (over 5 weeks now). I do miss her a little, but I'm still plagued by memories of intense physical pain the last time I was in the saddle. We'll have lots of time to work out our differences on the trainer this winter. I am looking forward to having what I hope will be a kick-ass off-season, though. I'm likely going to race in one more 10k this Sunday, and then it's set to officially start next week. Last year on the bike trainer I did mostly base building stuff over the winter. I plan on doing more of that, but I will be adding some intense big-chainring workouts to that as well. For the first time since I took up triathlon I will be strength training 2 or 3 times a week, too. I'm hoping to really improve my core strength and work on previously neglected areas, like hip flexors, for one. That's it for now. There might be a race report coming after the weekend, but the weather around here on the weekend is supposed to be quite sucky... so if it's only a few degrees above freezing and raining, I might not make it to the starting line. As usual, time will tell.

No comments: