Monday, June 8, 2009

A lack of consistency.

Ever since the Mother's Day half-marathon, my training has been less than enthusiastic. I guess I could be much more specific by saying my bike training has been less than enthusiastic. This was brought very clearly into focus during the recent Milton Triathlon. The bike course is quite a challenge, with some steep rollers and one massive hill to tackle. It was the biggest hill I'd ever seen, including Muskoka 70.3. I didn't see it at the time, but checking my computer later, I hit more than 74 kph (>46mph) on the way down... and that was not in the aerobars. I was scared shitless. Anyway, I had never seen the course before, and it wrecked me. It was only 30k, but it chewed me up and spit me out, and then kicked me a few times when I was down. I'm pretty sure I also heard it laughing as I was packing my car for the trip home.

Obviously I would have been better off not entering the race, and of course, the responsibility lies with me. I let my bike fitness drop off while training for the half marathon. I had a great race on Mother's Day, but now I'm suffering the consequences. Training-wise, I'm back on track, and I'm hoping that I can build back up to the level I should be at. I'm going to enter a Sprint on June 20 (750m, 20k, 5k) to assess where I'm at, so I'm hoping to hit all my workouts until then and have a solid effort, especially on the bike. I'm already feeling better and more comfortable in the saddle compared to the race, so it seems like things are moving in the right direction.

As usual, time will tell.

No comments: