Thursday, July 9, 2009

Obsessed with Ironman

Every now and then I find myself going through the websites of various IM races here in North America... most notably IM Canada, Lake Placid, and Wisconsin. Canada - I suppose - because, well, the race is in Canada, and so am I. Kind of a national pride deal, I guess. Lake Placid and Wisconsin -- I find myself interested in those because they are both within an 8-10 hour drive from where I live. This would no doubt cut cost and hassle if I were ever to do either race, as opposed to IMC or anywhere else, where flying is almost certainly necessary... increasing both the cost of attending and the chance of logistical nightmares, including losing items of relative importance, like a bike, for example.

Now, I have never done an iron-distance triathlon. The longest in my tri history is a half ironman... Muskoka 70.3. This race absolutely killed me. It beat the crap out of me, took my lunch money and basically told me it would do the same if it ever saw me in those parts again. Well guess what? I will do that race again. Not sure when, but it will happen, and I will win that battle when the time comes (of course, "win" does not mean sprinting past Craig Alexander in the final stretch to take 1st place... it's more of a symbolic thing, as I'm sure you already figured out).

So, why the obsession? Short answer: I really don't know. From a logical point of veiw, it really makes no sense at all. But then again, racing in the water, on a bike, and in running shoes for somewhere between 8 and 17 hours (all in one day) doesn't make any sense either, when you really think about it. The longer answer has to do with setting goals and achieving them, and the feelings that come from accomplishing such things. Or in the very least, kicking the shit out of yourself trying to achieve them... getting up when you're beat down, spitting out some blood, and giving a little "come on" wave with both hands, all with that devil/joker grin on your face. We're not finished yet, buddy. It's the feeling you get when you stand at the water's edge, seconds to go before you sprint in with all those others... knowing you did absolutely everything you could to prepare... and all that's left is to do it. I got a taste of that preparing for and competing in the half IM last year. At the time, I certainly would not have thought this, but I want more. That's right... please sir, may I have another?

And this from a guy with only a single half IM under his belt... I can't imagine what it feels like to veterans of multiple IM races. I want to know.

So why not this year? I made a promise to my wife (who is not a triathlete) and to myself that I would not let it take over my life. So I decided that any long distance triathlons (that's a half IM or longer, according to our definition) will only be done every other year. We made a few sacrifices and I missed out on some good summer fun (mainly involving alcohol, of course) while training for the half IM, and I'm not sure that I can go through that every single year. I'm good with that arrangement, and so this year I'm topping out at the Olympic distance, with a couple of half marathons thrown in for good measure.

In addition to the official websites of the races, I also read a lot of race reports. One of the first IM race reports I ever read was from Eric's blog about his IM Wisconsin experience. Since then I've searched out dozens of reports and soaked them all in... I feel like I know the courses already - I don't think I would even need a map! I'm just waiting for my chance to be the guy who finally gets to write one.

And training plans... I have read a ton of IM training plans, and in my head I have pictured myself doing the work in the water, on the bike, in the running shoes. So far, I like those pictures.

So will it be next year? Right now the answer is certainly yes. The easy thing to do would be to enter into the Canadian Iron Distance 226 in Ottawa next September... full distance tri, a couple hundred people instead of a couple thousand... multiple, small loops for both bike and run, making it better for friends and family to spectate (and for athletes seeing loved ones more often - good for motivation?)... smaller race fees and a shorter distance to travel. Not to mention entry is pretty much guaranteed, regardless of when you sign up. Plus for the first-timer like myself, it's a flat course without a lot of brand-name Ironman hype to be a distraction. Yup, that would be the easy thing. Slightly harder (and what I would really want) would be actually getting into Lake Placid or Wisconsin. IMLP is pretty much out, since I'm not going to be on site to register, and it's unlikely to make it to general entry on the 'net. Wisconsin, I'm not sure of. I don't know if it will make it to general entry or not. I guess I could give it a shot the day after the race this year... and if not, head to Ottawa instead. Unfortunately, money always has to be considered, too. Not being a swingin' single anymore, I can't just drop thousands of dollars on race fees, travel, hotel, food, etc, etc, without considering how it might affect anyone else.

So basically, I just don't know yet.

Another option, and one that I can't get out of my head, is going back to Muskoka for round two. It would be very satisfying if I could kick that course in the balls, as you might have gathered from what I wrote earlier... but although it would be satisfying, it's not the full distance. So all that really does is throw another possibility in there... not sure what I'm going to do with that.

So until things get figured out, I'll continue reading race reports and training plans, and hopefully nail the Olympic in a few weeks. As usual, time will tell.

No comments: