Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Game On

As usual, my blog posting during the winter months has been somewhat frozen (ha!). But, as of last Monday I am 20 weeks out from my 2nd attempt at the half-iron distance. My first attempt - Muskoka 70.3 - was a complete and utter disaster. It was a lesson in pain management, actually.

This time around I am a trying to be a little more low-key. Last time I was seemingly talking about it to as many people as possible. Which, of course, led to having to answer the "how did it go" questions that followed when I eventually ran into them at a later date. It was a lot of fun telling them how much I sucked. So, if someone specifically asks me what I am doing on Sunday, July 4th, then I will tell them about attempt #2. Otherwise, I am keeping this one mostly to myself.

I am (hopefully) a little better off this time, with a more solid fitness base, and I think I have a better understanding of pacing and nutrition in longer distance events. Also, I've now owned my tri bike for almost two years, instead of almost two months. I like to think we have been able to get to know each other during that time.

I will do at least one race before the half, maybe two. The June 6th Milton Tri will be a good fitness test one month out, with a tough bike course to test me. The Guelph Olympic is a "maybe" since it is only 2 weeks before the big one. But, like that half, it is a mass swim start and would be really good practice, since I've never done one of those. They do have a Swim/Bike option, so I'm thinking about that. The only possible problem is that my training for that week includes a 3+ hour bike session that I don't want to miss, so I'll have to do some schedule changes if I want to participate.

So, bring on the work, bring on the distance. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

No comments: