Friday, April 18, 2008

F.I.S.T. Bike fitting... with my freak body

Earlier this week, I went through an official tri-bike fitting session with a recent graduate of the Slowtwitch F.I.S.T. workshop (Fit Institute Slowtwitch). Since I don't have a tri-geometry bike and I would really like to get one, I thought it best that I be fitted before heading out and making a (rather large) purchase.

As it turns out I'm very glad I did the fitting first. Small tangent: I am not a tall man. It has taken me time to be able to admit this, instead of telling myself I was of average height. So to add insult to injury, apparently my 5'9" frame is freakishly disproportionate, with my upper body being short and legs being long.

So basically I need a relatively short reach to the aerobars, compared to the rest of the bike. Based on my fitting session, I would only fit onto 3 bikes out there. That's three specific models, not everything offered by 3 different manufacturers. If I had gone out and bought the Cervelo P2SL that I wanted, I would have been having some uncomfortable rides to say the least. That leaves me with one model from each of Specialized, Trek, and Kuota. The Specialized is nice, but out of my price range at well over three grand. The Trek is aluminum and readily available where I live, which is nice.

I might have to go out of town to get it, but I think I've fallen for the Kuota K-Factor.
It is the closest, measurement-wise, to my fitting results, which bodes well. It seems to get good reviews from everyone who comes across it. And it looks damn good... can't forget that one. So, no purchase yet, but I think a Saturday trip to a bike shop or two in the region is in order... and soon!

No comments: