Tuesday, April 8, 2008

San Diego soon! Plus aquathon?

The last week of April/first week of May I'm taking some vacation time and heading west to San Diego with my future wife, her brother & sister-in-law, and my future in-laws (I know what you're thinking, but actually I'm very lucky, in that I get along quite well with all my future relatives-by-marriage). But here's the really great part: I recently discovered that there will be an aquathon race - consisting of a 1000m swim and a 5k run - on the 27th of April... one day after we arrive! Unfortunately no one else in the group is as excited as I am... in fact, with a 9am start and a 3-hour time difference to get used to, I'm not expecting any kind of personal cheering section to be joining me... I'll just meet them back at the hotel for breakfast (my 2nd, their 1st). I was surfing the 'net and checking to see if there might be a small road race I could enter while I was there, and suddenly there it was... the Playa del Run Aquathon in Mission Bay. It is definitely within driving distance from our hotel. I think I'm more excited about the race than the actual vacation itself... it will be a great opportunity to see where my swimming is at -- I'll be able to determine whether I'm still really, really slow, or just plain slow. I'm looking forward to it very much.

No comments: