Monday, April 21, 2008

San Diego draws near...

Less than 5 days and I'll be on vacation in sunny (I hope) California. I mentioned before that I have entered an aquathon in San Diego - a 1000m swim followed by a 5k run. I'm very much looking forward to seeing if my swimming has improved at all over the winter. Wetsuits are allowed for the race, and I have one mild concern with respect to my wetsuit. I have a QR Ultrafull size XL short, which used to fit perfect due to my non-tall and non-skinny body-type. The "problem" is that I'm down about 20 lbs since I bought it, and now - according to the sizing chart - I'm out of the weight range for the XL and I should be in a Large. I haven't had it on in the water yet, only at home. It still feels ok just standing around, but I'm having visions of half the lake leaking into my wetsuit during the race and sloshing around my belly like the Michelin man... if the Michelin man was a wetsuit wearing kind of guy, of course. I have noticed that San Diego tri shops carry the Ultrafull QR wetsuit in the "large, short" size for $220. That seems pretty good for a brand new suit, considering I paid $200 for mine at the end of the season in 2006, and it was a former rental. The price falls nicely within the amount of Duty-free purchases I'm allowed to bring back into Canada at the end of the trip, too. Now that's something to think about.

No comments: