Sunday, November 11, 2007

Swim Saturday, long run Sunday

I love doing swim workouts on Saturdays... there are very few people (if any) using the pool, and those who do use it are actually swimming laps. This is a contrast from the lunch hour swims I'm sometimes forced into during the week -- the pool is packed with Floaters. Floaters are people, mostly women, who just kind of hang around and float in place and socialize. Seems the only time they can do this is when the pool schedule specifically says "laps." I mean, they don't even walk back and forth to try and disguise it as exercise. Do something... grab some water weights are pretend to move them around. And they give me dirty looks because I'm trying to swim laps?? I hate the Floaters. Long live the Saturday afternoon swim. Today was my long run. Well, long for me, anyway, at about 10k. Temperature was about seasonal, somewhere around 6 degrees, but it was quite windy... my face seems to have suffered a little windburn. The 12 week off-season program I'm on now doesn't actually have long runs scheduled, but I figure with the half marathon slated for May, I should do one per week and slowly add mileage. I try to maintain a nice, slow pace, so hopefully it doesn't turn out to be too much. Most of the workouts I'm doing right now are base building at fairly slow paces, so I don't think overtraining is a big concern at this point. Now I think it's time for me to spend a little quality time on the couch, perhaps watching football.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Clearly the Toronto weekend floaters that I see are bussed in from London. We can't even consider swimming on the weekend. Too bad London is such a long drive.