Friday, November 9, 2007

Tonight's treadmill workout -- LT test!

Well, at least people say that's what it is. I'm skeptical, but we'll see. It's the 30 minute time trial method -- used for both running and biking -- that I've read so much about: after a warm-up, start the treadmill at, say, a RPE of 8 for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes start recording your heart rate and get an average over the last 20 minutes. This average should be close to your lactate threshold, which can then be used to determine proper HR training zones. People with fancy letters after their name have endorsed this method... so it has to be right, right? Yeah. Like I said, skeptical. I'd like to get an accurate recording of my LT threshold so I can use my HR monitor for zone training this winter. Supposedly this test is the next best thing to a professional test done in a lab. In those tests they actually take blood every so often and measure the amount of lactate in it. When there is a spike in the lactate, you've gone anaerobic. Holy science, Batman. Anyway, word is that a HR monitor is the key for proper training intensity. Now that I finally have one I'd like to put it to good use. So, we'll see what I can come up with in the test tonight.

No comments: